"I think it's one of the most important battles for consumers to fight: the right to know what's in their food, and how it was grown." -Joel Salatin

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Truth About Moo Juice!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliope/118970265/sizes/m/in/photostream/
 With all the recent controversy regarding milk, I decided to investigate this product and the many views surrounding its consumption. Personally, let me just say that I am an avid dairy fan... Still, I know that it is not always good for you (Once when I had a cold, my doctor advised me to avoid dairy for a week because the cold viruses feed on the live bacteria cultures in milk. I cried. Granted, I was in like 6th grade, but still... I really love milk!)

The Discovery Health website discusses some of the arguments for and against milk, including the fact that "milk is frequently not tolerated by the gastrointestinal tract. For many, milk can cause bloating, constipation... reflux... increased eczema, worsening sinus problems, migraine headaches and joint pain". So what can we do to help ourselves? Well, switching to organic milk products would be a start! However, 'the term 'organic'  can be misleading" (Discovery Health) because its meaning varies depending on the context. Another option is to switch to raw (unpasteurized) milk. That means that the milk is not heated to the hight temperatures that kill bacteria. Yes. It sounds gross. But according to the article, exposure to these bacteria benefited children and warded off allergies. My neighbors up the street travel to South Carolina to but their raw milk... So it must be worth it!

If this post has struck a cord of your food conscience and you feel the need to change your ways--but are afraid of dairy withdrawal-- there are some easier options. This link presents three non-dairy alternatives to regular milk: RICE milk, ALMOND milk, and SOY milk. Every once in a while, I actually get a craving for soy milk; I find it to be rather enjoyable. You can use any of these in the same way you would use dairy, chuck-full-of-lactose milk (in cereal, in coffee, plain, colored green for St. Paddy's Day :) Same concept, better health.

Happy Milking!
-Taylor Halbig

1 comment: