"I think it's one of the most important battles for consumers to fight: the right to know what's in their food, and how it was grown." -Joel Salatin

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chick-fil-a




http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Section/Classics

Ok so I've been reading so much about how all these fast food restaurants have bad ingredient after bad ingredient and that got me thinking about my personal favorite, Chick-fil-a.  I was curious about how "healthy" they're food really was because I for one don't consider it a "real" fast food place, it's more of a home away from home.  


After doing some research, I found out that it is definitely one of the healthier options when eating fast food, but that isn't saying much.  And like anything, the experts say you can eat it (phew) , but not too much
  
At least the first ingredient in the Chicken Sandwich is chicken...but here's what else is in it:


Chicken (100% natural whole breast filet, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached flour {bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, whole powdered egg and nonfat milk solids], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness and dimethylpolysiloxane an anti-foaming agent added]), bun (enriched flour [wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, riboflavin {Vitamin B2}, folic acid], water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, contains 2% or less of each of the following: liquid yeast, soybean oil, nonfat milk, salt, wheat gluten, soy flour, dough conditioners [may contain one or more of the following: mono- and diglycerides, calcium and sodium stearoyl lactylates, calcium peroxide], soy flour, amylase, yeast nutrients [monocalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate], calcium propionate added to retard spoilage, soy lecithin, cornstarch, butter oil [soybean oil, palm kernel oil, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor, TBHQ and citric acid added as preservatives, and artificial color]), pickle (cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, lactic acid, calcium chloride, alum, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate [preservatives], natural flavors, polysorbate 80, yellow 5, blue 1).


To me it looks like there are a lot of spices and flavors added but as you get towards the bottom, I start having no idea what purpose the rest of those ingredients serve.... 
I'm going to do some more research but this is just food for thought..


Sarah Johnson 
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/ChickfilA-Chicken-Sandwich#?details=ingredients

7 comments:

  1. Like you, I never really consider Chick-fil-a as fast food either... which is why I have always been afraid to look into how bad it is for us.
    Interesting post. It is good to know that we do not have to give it up completely!
    -Kelly Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end looks like a lot of preservatives and soy products. Oh and corn...
    Good post Sarah!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chick-fil-a! It's good to know that it's not as bad as some of the other fast food restaurants but I was always afraid of what I would find if I looked into it. I don't understand what those last few ingredients would be for. Thank you for looking into this!
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the title of this and was horrified to continue reading. Glad to see that it's not incredibly bad for you. Chick Fil A remains at the top.

    Payton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this reassures me some. It's good to know you don't have to completely stave off fast food. But to be honest, I probably wouldn't have given up Chick-fil-a. That place is sacred. And those new ketchup packets...

    -Mason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mason... the new ketchup packets are amazing! And Sarah, thanks so much for this post. I was honestly too scared to be hurt to look into this. Clicking to go to this post was the most horrifying thing ever! Looks like I can have my cravings fulfilled after all..
    -Taylor Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. No!! I love Chick-fil-a. Their chicken sandwiches are the best! I wish they would go organic or at least put less ingredients in their food.
    - Quinn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete